Those who have dietary restrictions, such as myself, know that baking can get very tricky without traditional ingredients like wheat flour and eggs. I’ve been on an extensive journey to find the perfect muffin recipe that both tastes good and won’t kill me. And friends, I found it.
The following is a mash up of a gluten free muffin recipe and my own vegan twists. And if you’re baking for a mixed crowd, rest assured, these muffins have impressed even my gluten-accustomed friends.
Gluten Free & Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Flour Blend (I use Namaste brand from Costco)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil, softened
- 1 Cup Sugar, plus an extra 1/4 Cup
- 2 Flax Seed Eggs (2 Tablespoons ground flax seed, plus 6 Tablespoons dairy free milk – I use coconut)
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk (Coconut Milk with a dash of lemon juice)
- 1-1 1/2 Cups Blueberries (Fresh works best!)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream together coconut oil, 1 Cup sugar, and flax eggs.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk, then fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into baking cups (makes 12 muffins). Sprinkle remaining sugar on top.
- Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees, and bake for 30 minutes.